Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blue and Green


Two years ago, I went into a DVD store not knowing what movie to rent. I don’t usually go there because Mr. Torrent began to take over the world back then. So I rummaged through the racks and was literally deciding to pick up the one with the most interesting cover and hurray, the blue/green color of this won me over:

"Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows." 
 John Betjeman.  Movie begins with this quote.
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Though I was never a fan of history, I was intrigued. Little did I know that this movie would leave me cursing when it came to an end. I wasn’t even prepared to wail hard at the same time.  And I never expected I’ll be affected by History as much as it did to me during elementary (I hated memorizing dates and tongue-twister names)

Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences. (source)

Then, I read a post from JessicaSewik’s blog where she took really good photos inside the Auschwitz Concentration Camp in Poland. The place exhibited remnants from the lives of Jews who were killed during WWII as well as the hair-raising death walls and incineration room where “evil” things took place. Visit it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I met a new blogging friend! Jessica blogs at Living the LA Life and she's pretty new in the blogging world (so much like me) so go check her out. You could make another sister happy by doing so! :)


My best friend finally graduated today as Cum Laude, 7 months to go and she'll be a Certified Public Accountant. I'm one proud sister. :) 


 My father saw my cupcake nails and let's just say, he told me I look like a hooker. A stripping-pole-dancing hooker by just looking at my 10 fingernails. Those were some pretty innocent cupcakes! They're not even close to looking like cigarettes and condoms! But point taken, I'm blessed with a brown skin and vibrant colored nails together with red hot lipstick is not something that really flatters my color. So I took my father's cursing by heart and resorted to a French tip instead, which I guess looks pretty too.


 And for two days of staying at home, I left my room in the city in a scary chaos.

Before:


 After I finally took the courage to clean the mess:


And I'll be giving some of my friends these magazines tomorrow. Have a meaningful Sunday everyone.



 

6 comments:

  1. Like you, I also didn't lets say "enjoyed" history classes so much, but I don't know why, WWII really catched my attention, I guess it's probably because all the controversy about it and how during so many years it remained as a taboo topic, in my opinion. I also watched that movie, and it's actually based on John Boyne's book with the same title as the movie version. It was really heartbreaking at the end, but it has a beautiful message about friendship and how pure it can be. Btw I really liked your cupcake nails, but these looks fine too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often heard about WWII and how the Nazis hated the Jews. Honestly, I don't know why they hate them in the first place. I have to google it right now. Exactly, the ending almost left me staring at the screen. I didn't leave my chair because deep in my heart, I was praying that it's not the ending and that they'll be saved. It was horrible. :(

      Delete
  2. I read the book a few years ago, and it was one of the best I've read in a long time. We can only hope that such things won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realized it was first a book not until I googled for some quotes. I wish I can find that book here. Oh my, it should definitely never happen again.

      Delete
  3. i wanna have one copy of that mag as well! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. Happiness and peace be with you. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...