Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ...

And I'm going to paint solar systems on the backs of her hands so she has to learn the entire universe before she can say, "Oh, I know that like the back of my hand." And she's going to learn that this life will hit you hard in the face, wait for you to get back up just so it can kick you in the stomach. But getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air. There is hurt, here, that cannot be fixed by Band-Aids or poetry. So the first time she realizes that Wonder Woman isn't coming, I'll make sure she knows she doesn't have to wear the cape all by herselfbecause no matter how wide you stretch your fingers, your hands will always be too smallto catch all the pain you want to heal.

 


I was really awed the first time I've seen this video. She has overflowing ideas about childhood and life. I was instantly in love with this clip and with ted.com.

Sarah Kay is an American poet. Known for her spoken word poetry, Kay is the founder and co-director of Project V.O.I.C.E., a group dedicated to using spoken word as an inspirational tool.

2 comments:

Thank you for dropping by. Happiness and peace be with you. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...